Monday, May 4, 2009

Weekly update...Do Bolters need scopes? Nah!

Just a brief update on what's happening with the 95th. Been busy the last week finishing up the school semester so not much progress has been made.

1) Tweaked my 2000 point build from two posts ago. First up I dropped Creed and Kell, kept the voxes, add added a 4th tank with Pask. I put two standard LRBT in a squadron, kept one LRBT by itself, and the 3rd heavy choice would be Pask in an Exterminator. Also added a Regimental standard, and modeled one.
Photobucket

2) Then I made the mistake of hitting Ebay. I landed 3 full squads of Mordains for pretty cheap...well cheap compared with what GW is charging for 10 of them. This let me rebuild my force yet again.

3) The new build has 6 squads of veterans, 2 Company command squads, Ogryns, Stormtroopers, and 3 LRBT one with Pask at the helm. The command squads and ogryns have chimeras. The Stormies will have to drop in without a vehicle. Voxes all around. The command squads have Lascannons. Of the vet squads, 3 have Lascannons, 3 have Heavy bolters. As of their special weapons, each squad has 3 now. I now have 6 GL, 2 Melta and 2 flamers special weapon Mordians. How does that fill all 18 special weapon slots in the 6 veteran squads. Well, I've been busy modding.

4) I took the Mordian basic trooper that has his lasgun in the firing position, and his head down on the sights. Then I looked at my unpainted Marines and notice that a bunch of them have scopes. Why the heck do bolters have scopes anyway? First time they fire they would have to be re-sighted. Lets just say they no longer have scopes. I glued the scopes onto the lasguns. Then I exteded the barrel of the lasguns, using the missle body of the old hunter killer missles I had in my bits box. They were the exact diamater of the lasgun barrel so they fit perfectly. Very simple sniper rifles. Did up 5 of these guys...now I have to find more marines, with scopes they don't need, to fill out the remaining special weapon slots. The sniper rifle fits the "theme" of the 95th rifles, so now each veteran squad will have at least one in it. The plan is to use a massive gunline to slow the advance 6 chances to pin each turn (not counting the LRBT's).
Photobucket
Photobucket

5) I'm doing it again. My painting tray has all my (pre-latest ebay purchase) Mordians on it, about 50 figs. I have base coated them green and black. I'm about halfway done the brown/wood colors for the guns. I know I should just paint one squad at a time. But I can't help myself. I want a uniform look, and I do plan on using the dipping method. Figure this way they whole army (except the 30 from the ebay purchase) will be done.
Photobucket

6) I'm going to try and break free this weekend for a lucky 13th apoc battle down at the local gamestore...we will see if this will happen or not. I'll bring the camera and take some pics for a battle report if I do make it.

7) I've also almost completed my tank commander. I just took a spare Mordian Lascannon crewman, the one with the raised hand and binoculars. Cut him at the waist. Thanks to some early comments I have repainted him. He originally was the Rifles green, but he really blended with the tank. The new scheme is that of a british naval officer of the napoleonic era (Blue, white, gold and yellow). I'll be renaming "Pask" to "Hornblower" for the 95th. That BS 4 he gives will fit nicely with the theme of the army.
Photobucket

That's all for now...

3 comments:

  1. Not sure how psykers work with the Mordians, but they seem like they would be a good fit for this army, what with all the pinning tests you will hopefully be forcing.

    Otherwise, good call on dropping Creed. I would have either gone with that or the voxen (I believe I shall use that plural from now on). I'm going to be doing some tests with stormtroopers tomorrow, so I'll have a bit better idea of how they roll then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff, especially the tank commander. Well done.

    ReplyDelete